The Church History Department of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is looking for an Editorial Assistant for The Church Historian’s Press. This is a unique opportunity to learn about early LDS history, work with primary documents, significantly contribute to the project’s research and production processes, and acquire a variety of new skills relating to both print and web publishing.
This position is a full-time contract position, expected to last 12 months.
• Copyediting and proofreading text for both print and web publications.
• Applying project style with a high level of accuracy.
• Applying or correcting XML coding using Oxygen XML Editor.
• Fact checking, or analyzing sources to determine whether they have been used appropriately.
• Checking quotations from original sources and comparing spelling, punctuation, and capitalization.
• Attentively assisting Historians and Editors in verifying transcriptions of historical manuscripts.
• Making and filing copies of sources.
• Organizing or compiling in-house research tools to assist project staff.
• Other tasks according to project needs and individual capabilities and interests.
• Bachelor’s degree in English, editing, or a related field.
• Practical experience in copyediting or proofreading.
• Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition).
• Experience with electronic publishing or programming languages (especially XML) preferred, but not required.
• Ability to learn new software or databases.
• Ability to research in nineteenth-century sources.
• Knowledge of early LDS church history and a familiarity with Mormon sources a plus.
• Must be accurate, detail oriented, organized, and able to perform repetitive tasks.
• Must be able to manage time effectively and be dependable.
• Must be a critical thinker and have a natural curiosity.
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.
Posting Notice/More Info.
Qualified applicants will be required to take an editing test and a source checking test.
For more information about The Church Historian’s Press, please go to churchhistorianspress.org.
Please Note: All positions are subject to close without notice.
Find out more about the many benefits of Church Employment at http://careers.lds.org.